Lismany House, County Galway
Lismany House, Lawrencetown, County Galway
Lismany House was built in 1856, for Alan Pollock, a Scotsman who owned between 20-30,000 acres in counties Galway and Roscommon. The house, now ruined, was two storeys with an irregular façade of gables, Tudor-Revival windows, Georgian windows with rusticated surrounds and three sided bows.
Pollack purchased some of the bankrupt estates of the Eyre’s of Eyrecourt at auction. Some of the old tenants were paid off; the land was drained and let out in large tenures to Protestant tenants at 21 year terms. The large estate included eight farm yards in Ganaveen, Lisbeg, Lisenacaady, Ballyhue, Quansborough, Tynagh, Kylemore and Redmount. Rows of cottages were built for the farm labourers at Newtown, Crowsnest and elsewhere. At Kylemore, a brick factory made soil pipes and a Corn mill operated there for nearly 200 years. Most remains of the estate were gone by early 20th century having been divided by the Land Commission in the 1920’s.
For info on the town of Lawerencetown click here.