Creggs Village is located at the foot of Mount-Mary lying between the forks of the Derryhippo River, a tributary of the River Suck
Being in a central position to seven other villages, it was a thriving market town, famous for it’s fairs and dances. An interesting statistic about the village is that the population increased during the Famine, going from 163 in 1841 to 173 in 1851.
Due to its proximity to the rivers and lakes, it once had a flourishing iron works industry; the renowned Luke Kelly continued the blacksmith’s trade until the 1960s. A claypipe industry also existed in the village of Kilbegnet, just outside Creggs.
Creggs was the territory of the Glinsk-Burkes family who sold their estates to Alan Pollock in 1854; the property has now been converted into Keane’s Pub.
Creggs is part of the ancestral home of the Finnertys and forms a stage of the Beara-Breifne Way which is based on the historic march of O’Sullivan Beara in 1603.