Ballylanders is located in South East Limerick, close to the towering Galtee Mountains
It is within easy reach of both Tipperary town and Mitchelstown, the former seat of the Earls of Kingston. The name comes from the old Norman name, Landers. The family Landers settled here in around 1234, although it was the Earl of Kingston who built the present day town.
The landscape around Ballylanders is dominated by a 17th-century construction erected by the Kingston who had intended to build a castle in the town. They built a tower but ran into difficulty due to the cost of building their castle in Mitchelstown.
Later a wing was added and then turned into a protestant church in 1870. In 1828 Daniel O’Connell addressed a large gathering at Ballycushen cross on the Mitchelstown road.
Stamp Collection Points